Mission Viejo, Calif.
◊ 404-bed not-for-profit, acute-care facility
◊ Regional trauma center (1,000+ cases annually)
◊ 18,939 admissions and 8,095 surgeries
◊ Specialized pediatric care at Children’s Mission Hospital (CHOC)
Mission Hospital tapped VIZZIA to deploy and manage a real-time location system (CenTrak’s combination RFID/IR RTLS) in order to track more than 1,300 pieces of moveable medical equipment (MME). Within just one year, Mission has reduced lost or stolen equipment from 13.8 percent to 0 percent.
- Outsourced equipment distribution process to VIZZIA
- Eliminated need for MME rentals
- Saved more than $150,000 in first year by reducing lost/stolen equipment to 0 percent.
- Nurse satisfaction scores improved dramatically.
- Biomed technicians never need to search for equipment when it’s due for PM.
- Service so well received — added 22 percent more MME units to the system, including gurneys, crash carts, breast pumps, wound vacs and specialty beds
- Located and rescued $26,000 wound vac that had been wrapped in sheets and disposed of in bio-hazard bin.
- Overall, saved more than $600,000 in first year by reducing rentals, eliminating new-equipment purchases and outsourcing management of equipment distribution.