How Does It Work?
VIZZIA offers a variety of technology options, each of which provides unique benefits for different facilities’ needs. For hand-hygiene compliance, however, VIZZIA only recommends one solution: a combination active RFID/IR system from our partner CenTrak. It’s the only solution on the market that can accurately monitor hand-hygiene compliance while also proactively reminding caregivers to be compliant.
- Network devices are installed on ceilings throughout the hospital.
- Each patient room and hallway is outfitted with an Infrared “monitor,” which mounts on the ceiling. Each device is assigned a location code.
- A combination IR/motion-detecting device is mounted on every soap or gel dispenser throughout the hospital. In the system, it is assigned to the monitor in the same room.
- Every clinician in the hospital (and any other staff members required) is assigned a unique staff identification badge with both IR and RF capabilities.
- When a clinician enters a room, he or she must perform hand hygiene within a given period of time (based on hospital-specific rules). (A) When a clinician performs hand hygiene, the motion detector on the hand-washing device senses motion and sends out a burst of IR light containing time and location information (B), both of which are received by the clinician’s tag.
- (C) The nearest staff tag within several feet reads the information, converts it to radio-frequency and transmits it along with the staffer’s unique identification code to the network.
- If the clinician has not performed hand hygiene within the allotted time, the system sends out a soft multi-beep alarm to the staffer’s badge, alerting him or her to wash.
- (D) The network reports every compliant and non-compliant event to the server, where data is stored (E) before being transferred over the Internet to VIZZIA’s advanced mapping and analytics software, (F) where infection control specialists, nurse managers and other staffers can access the information.
- Users can search for specific events, run detailed reports and analyze compliance data based on a number of criteria.