Revenue Up $10 Million Thanks to a More Efficient E.D.
Case study: Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia
The emergency department at Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia is one of the busiest in the city, treating over 95,000 patients annually. As an accredited Level 1 Regional Resource Trauma Center and Certified Stroke Center, the E.D. cares for patients experiencing the full spectrum of medical emergencies.
Under these high-stakes circumstances, efficient treatment and reasonable wait times are critical. But due to fragmented communications among caregivers, bottlenecks in patient flow and other factors, patients were spending an average of nine hours in the E.D. before transfer or discharge. This resulted in 5 percent of patients leaving without being treated. The hospital also experienced a high level of patient dissatisfaction, a large number of patients being diverted to other hospitals, and millions of dollars of lost revenue.
Einstein Medical Center partnered with Vizzia Technologies to streamline the patient experience in the Philadelphia E.D. Vizzia installed advanced real-time location systems (RTLS) to gather data about staff workflow and staff/patient interactions. The system made it easy for caregivers to enter information—they simply press a button on the unique I.D. tags they and the patients wore, and information about where and when each interaction took place was transmitted to software accessible by key staff.
This provided caregivers with real-time, easily accessible information about each patient’s location and status. It also provided hospital administrators with accurate data to track and monitor care intervals, analyze response times and develop big-picture solutions for the E.D.
How It Works: E.D. Workflow
- Vizzia installs network devices on ceilings throughout the hospital. Vizzia designs and deploys the system, installs software and trains staff.
- Every staffer who comes into contact with patients and each patient who checks into the E.D. is assigned a small I.D. tag. The I.D. tag contains a unique identification code.
- At the beginning and end of a patient-staff interaction, the staffer pushes a button on both I.D. tags. This transmits information to Vizzia’s advanced mapping and analytics software.
- E.D. managers, nurses and other staffers can view patient, workflow and interaction data on Vizzia’s software. They can also search for specific events and run detailed reports.
- Vizzia analyzes the data, identifies logjams and collaborates with clients to determine the best possible solution for each problem.
Vizzia’s advanced RTLS system, mapping and analytics software and ongoing consulting services helped transform the E.D. Despite a 24 percent increase in the number of patients, the E.D. was treating people more efficiently and receiving higher patient satisfaction scores. All this significantly improved the bottom line.
- Average length of stay: Decreased from 9 hours to 3.5 hours
- Left-without-treatment: Decreased from 5% to 0.5%
- Monthly diversion hours: Decreased 89%
- Revenue: Increased $9.95 million per year
- Press Ganey patient satisfaction: Increased 15%
About Vizzia Technologies
Vizzia Technologies uses real-time location systems (RTLS) to solve problems and streamline processes for healthcare providers. Our custom solutions add visibility and actionable data where it’s needed most, resulting in lower costs, more staff time for patient care and better outcomes for patients.
About Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia
With 548 beds, Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia is the largest independent academic medical center in the Philadelphia region. It’s also the largest hospital in the Einstein Healthcare Network, which operates several major hospitals and many outpatient centers, primary care and specialty care locations throughout greater Philadelphia.
Ready to get started with Vizzia?
We partner with healthcare providers to streamline processes and improve patient care. Whether you have a project in mind or just want to ask a few questions, our team is here to help. Reach out today to request a demo or learn more.
Vizzia is a leading provider of fully managed Real-Time Location Systems (RTLS), helping hospitals reduce costs, streamline processes and improve patient care.