Piedmont Healthcare saves $2 million with system-wide asset tracking and management
Case study: Piedmont Healthcare, Greater Atlanta and North Georgia
Piedmont Healthcare is the largest healthcare provider in Georgia and a rapidly growing health system. But Piedmont’s rapid growth created challenges. Nurses and other staffers struggled to locate mobile medical equipment and other assets they needed to care for patients. Piedmont did not have a reliable way to measure equipment utilization system-wide or determine purchasing needs. This led to inefficient clinical workflows, low productivity and high equipment costs.
Piedmont had successfully partnered with Vizzia Technologies at its flagship hospital, Piedmont Atlanta, for many years, saving hundreds of thousands of dollars by tracking equipment and right-sizing their equipment fleet. What they needed next was a solution that would work across the hospital network, standardizing asset management on a single platform and innovating to reduce costs and improve outcomes system-wide.
Piedmont collaborated closely with Vizzia to expand Vizzia’s advanced real-time location systems (RTLS) and software platform throughout the healthcare network, with the goal of deploying in all 11 hospitals and in other facilities. Vizzia’s RTLS solution ensures that clean and operational mobile medical equipment, including beds, pumps, defibrillators and more, is always available when nurses and other staff need it.
Installing Vizzia’s RTLS in multiple hospitals has created opportunities for additional efficiencies and innovative ways of managing equipment. Working with Vizzia, Piedmont created a centralized distribution center to serve as an in-house equipment rental operation for the health system. With information from Vizzia’s tracking system and software, Piedmont staffers can see when one location has too much or too little of a particular piece of equipment. They can then redistribute equipment where it’s needed, while also reducing rental fees and purchasing less equipment overall.
In addition to asset management, Piedmont uses Vizzia’s RTLS to remotely monitor temperatures. This has allowed the health system to eliminate manual temperature logging and automatically protect food, blood, medications and other valuable items stored in refrigerators and freezers. The software also alerts staff when protocol is not being followed—for example, if a piece of equipment is used on a patient and then moved to another patient’s room without being cleaned. And it helps ensure equipment used on a patient with a health care-associated infection can be quickly located and taken out of service.
How It Works: Enterprise-wide Asset Management
- Vizzia installs network devices on ceilings in multiple hospitals. Vizzia designs and deploys the system, installs software and trains staff.
- Each piece of equipment that requires tracking is outfitted with a small tag that contains a unique identification code.
- Asset tags share location information with network devices. That information is transmitted to a server and then to Vizzia’s advanced mapping and analytics software.
- Hospital staffers use Vizzia’s software to view the real-time location of each asset. They can also search for specific devices and run detailed reports.
- With an in-house equipment rental service like Piedmont’s, equipment is relocated to the hospital or health center where it’s needed.
Standardizing the RTLS platform and optimizing asset management processes across Piedmont facilities has resulted in substantial ROI. Worker productivity has risen. Piedmont now has the ability to share and rent expensive equipment, such as specialty beds, gurneys and wheelchairs, across the health system. As a result, the health system is paying significantly less in equipment rental fees, much less equipment is lost or stolen, and capital expenses have been reduced.
- Saved $2 million across the health system
- Saved $1 million in one year at a single hospital (Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center)
- Eliminated $400,000 in capital purchases over 2 years
- 90% increase in productivity
- $510,000 saved annually on equipment costs
- Improved equipment utilization by more than 20%
- 2019 Technology Association of Georgia award winner, recognized for outstanding leadership in bringing new technology solutions to the market
“Standardizing will also help us transfer best practices and lessons-learned from one location to others more easily and tap into the creativity and effectiveness of our entire team.” – Jeff Allen, Senior Director of Biomedical Engineering, Piedmont Healthcare
About Vizzia Technologies
Vizzia Technologies uses real-time location systems (RTLS) to solve problems and streamline processes for healthcare providers. Our custom solutions add visibility and actionable data where it’s needed most, resulting in lower costs, more staff time for patient care and better outcomes for patients.
About Piedmont Healthcare
Piedmont Healthcare is the largest healthcare provider in Georgia, serving nearly 2 million patients annually at 11 hospitals and nearly 100 physician and specialist offices across greater Atlanta and North Georgia.
Ready to get started with Vizzia?
We partner with healthcare providers to streamline processes and improve patient care. Whether you have a project in mind or just want to ask a few questions, our team is here to help. Reach out today to request a demo or learn more.
Vizzia is a leading provider of fully managed Real-Time Location Systems (RTLS), helping hospitals reduce costs, streamline processes and improve patient care.